Police and Law Enforcement Investigation Skills
We provide a number of additional specialist courses aimed at the police service and other law enforcement agencies. Our training team are all experienced senior UK detectives who have led major serious and organised crime teams within the UK police service including homicide and counter terrorism. They also have experience dealing with major and critical incidents.
How forces initially respond to major crime or critical incidents is critical to the effective investigation and community confidence. Ineffective response will often result in poor service to victims and risks of reputational damage for the organisation.
Futurum has developed a number of specialist courses targeting key areas of the investigative process to help up-skill investigators and Senior Investigating Officers.
Our current training prospectus includes the following courses:
- New to role investigator – Being tasked to investigate crime can be a daunting task for new to role investigators. This course is aimed at providing delegates with the knowledges, tools and skills needed to respond to a report of crime and develop and deliver on an effective investigative strategy. It is based on UK best practice.
- Initial response to major incidents – This covers the initial response to a major or critical incident from the moment the initial report is received through to when the incident in under control and the investigation process has commenced.
- Critical incident management - Critical incident management aims to ensure the policing response satisfies the needs of the victim, their family and the wider community, while enabling a successful outcome to the incident. Our course covers the three phases of critical incident management: preparing for critical incidents, managing the incidents and restoring public confidence.
- Senior investigating officer – A comprehensive training course that can be modulised and is aimed at equipping new to role senior investigators with the tools, knowledge and skills required to lead and manage homicide investigations.
- Statement taking – Recording accurate witness testimony is a critical part of the investigation process. This course is designed for those who are new to the investigative role and provides a framework for conducting the witness interview and formulating a coherent and accurate witness statement.
- Advanced interviewing skills (witness) – This course is based on the UK cognitive interviewing PEACE model (planning and preparation, engage and explain, account clarification and challenge, closure and evaluation). It is intended for more experienced investigators who wish to enhance their investigative interviewing skills.
- Advanced interviewing skills (suspect) – This course is based on the UK PEACE model (planning and preparation, engage and explain, account clarification and challenge, closure and evaluation) and builds on the witness interviewing course to explore specific factors associated with conducting suspect interviews.
- Financial investigation – Financial investigation is the investigation of a person of interest’s financial affairs and can be for evidential or intelligence purposes having a covert and overt side. This course will provide delegates with the tools, knowledge and skills required to conduct financial investigations.